Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 511E somebody buy them

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    511E somebody buy them

    2 ALTEC LANSING 511-E 1.4" 3 BOLT HORN HORNS @ 288 291 - eBay (item 390122093077 end time Nov-27-09 13:38:01 PST)

    Before I get in trouble again

    I tried to reach Steve Mac he wanted a set...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    2 ALTEC LANSING 511-E 1.4" 3 BOLT HORN HORNS @ 288 291 - eBay (item 390122093077 end time Nov-27-09 13:38:01 PST)

    Before I get in trouble again

    I tried to reach Steve Mac he wanted a set...

    I saw those the other day. Upon close examination I see that one of them looks to have the aquaplas coating. The other one seems to lack it, and that's the one that look like it has holes for small format drivers and large format drivers. I'm wondering if one is a true E, and the other is a converted B.

    Re-examining the pictures I think I see that the aquaplas coated horn looks to have dual holes as well........ was that standard on all E's?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    The EV drivers were 4 bolt...I have seen 299's set up for 3 or 4 bolt...I do not know if they might ne set up to take EV drivers too...

    Major difference I see in the 2 is the coating...not sure if one is bare but one definitely has more.

    More I think about it I think Steve wanted 311-90's.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    More I think about it I think Steve wanted 311-90's.
    Yeah...I got a set of 511e's already and I paid well more than this "buy it now" price for my set. The set I have has serial numbers on plastic stickers right in the horn. Also, the set I have...the aquaplas coating is extremely thick on both of them. The throats were incredibly rough though...which cost me two days of gentle grinding and sanding.

    I would buy them in a heartbeat and whoever gets this set better act quick. The price is excellent. The sound of my GPA 288H's in these horns gives me goose shivers. For the price of the gpa's...I'm totally surprised GPA doesn't have a huge request for these gems.

    Thanks for the heads up OG...I'm tempted to buy them even though I have a set...thanks!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Re-examining the pictures I think I see that the aquaplas coated horn looks to have dual holes as well........ was that standard on all E's?
    I think they were drilled out for different drivers...maybe.
    If you believe one is a modified 1" 511, then you have to believe they also moved the hanger rings, which appear to be in the correct place for a 511e. My guess is they are both 511e's, maybe from different batches of production, based on the consistency of the aquaplas coating. ...could be wrong....it happens...

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    My guess is they are both 511e's, maybe from different batches of production, based on the consistency of the aquaplas coating. ...could be wrong....it happens...

    Pretty much my take on it...

    I would buy these, except according to the OG/Redhead treaty I have to get rid of something else if I do..

    I'm already trying to sneak in the 12's i bought when I got Pano's A7's...fortunately those didn't come home but went to a warehouse instead...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    I think they were drilled out for different drivers...maybe.
    If you believe one is a modified 1" 511, then you have to believe they also moved the hanger rings, which appear to be in the correct place for a 511e. My guess is they are both 511e's, maybe from different batches of production, based on the consistency of the aquaplas coating. ...could be wrong....it happens...

    I thought the real E's were B's that had been modified at the factory? Do your 511E's have welded on hanger tabs, or cast? The tabs on my 511B's are cast as part of the horn.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    511E somebody buy them


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,260
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    OG, Thanks for the post I grabbed them But I'm concerned ,one horn looks like it has aquaplas and the other doesn't pictures aren't good though at all.But for $350 for 511E's if they are legit Thank You , Thank You , Thank You.I've been looking for a set for a year and a half.I'm sending them an email to make sure the one isn't a modified 511B Thanks Again ~ JOHN

    I see were the flange looks like it was drilled

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    I'm sending them an email to make sure the one isn't a modified 511B Thanks Again ~ JOHN

    I see were the flange looks like it was drilled

    In all honesty..I think all 511E are modified B models.

    We just had a conversation about this here...

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...-311-90-a.html

    If you look at the last post, there is a pic I posted that clearly shows the 511E flange is welded on, not cast in.

    I think Altec cut 511's and welded on a flange to make E models, the mounting tab also looks like a clean weld job to me, but I'm still agnostic on that.

    I'm not so concerned about the lack of Aquaplas, the stuff i think is still available under another name...

    Just found it but a 5 gallon pail is $200!

    http://www.wilrep.com/pdfformat/3603.pdf

    It is sold to damp furnace ducts...maybe some calls to tin benders would locate somebody willing to sell you a gallon?
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    511E somebody buy them


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,260
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Hi OG, Update transaction cancelled.It seems that 1 horn is just a 511B with a 1.4" flange (NO AQUAPLAS) on it at all and the other one has some of the aquaplas scraped off he said it looks like somebody scraped it off to have a level mounting surface 3 4 but he is a nice guy he had no problem cancelling, he is disappointed also it seems they were payment for a bad debt to me debt still owed. But if you see another set please let me know Thanks JOHN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.